You can buy cryptocurrency with a credit or debit card if your card supports "3D Secure". With this payment method, you will not have to pre-fund your account to buy cryptocurrency. You can purchase cryptocurrency instantly without waiting for a bank transfer to complete.
To determine if your card supports 3D Secure, you can contact your credit/debit card provider directly or simply try adding it to your Coinbase account. You will get an error message if your card does not support 3D Secure. Some banks will require various security steps to authorize a purchase using 3D Secure. Some of the methods you may see will be a text message, a bank provided security card, or security questions.
Please note, this method is not available for customers outside of Europe and the UK.
The following steps will get you started:
- When logged into your account, go to the linked accounts page.
- Click "Add a Credit/Debit Card" at the top of the page.
- Enter your card information (The address must match the billing address for the card).
- If needed, add a billing address for the card.
- You should now see a window that says "Credit Card Added" and a "Buy Digital Currency" button.
- You can now buy digital currency using the "Buy/Sell" page anytime.
The following steps will walk you through the 3DS purchase process:
- Go to the "Buy/Sell Digital Currency" page
- Enter the desired amount
- Select the card on the payment methods drop down menu
- Confirm the order is correct and click "Complete Buy"
- You will be directed to your bank's website (Process different depending on bank)