On this page, we will explain any questions or problems you may have when opening an account in Japan. For the overall flow of opening an account, please refer to "Information on opening an account".
Preparing to open an account
What do I need to do to open a Coinbase account?
- Being a Japanese citizen resident in Japan over 20 years old
- Have your identity verification documents (For the types of identity verification documents that can be used to open an account, please refer to "About Identity Verification Documents")
- Have a smartphone (subscribe to a communication plan that can receive SMS)
What types of identity verification documents can I submit?
- Please refer to "About Identity Verification Documents".
I'm 18 years old now, can I open an account?
- Only those over 20 years old can open an account.
Can I open an account even if I am not Japanese national?
- Currently, we are accepting the opening of accounts only for Japanese citizens (those who have Japanese nationality) residing in Japan.
Can I open an account even if I live outside Japan?
If you live in a country where the Coinbase Group provides services, you can apply to open an account. Click here for a list of supported countries.
If you are moving from Japan to an address outside of Japan, please contact our customer support.
If you live in Japan, we need to confirm your place of residence in Japan, so please prepare an identity verification document that allows you to confirm your current address.
Are there any restrictions on opening an account?
Is there a fee to open or maintain an account?
- There are no fees to open or maintain an account. Click here for other fees.
What kind of support can I get after opening an account?
- Currently, we are providing support by e-mail in our customer support.
Enter your account information
What is the purpose of entering my email address?
- For the registration e-mail address, use an e-mail address that allows you to receive e-mails on the device (computer or smartphone) used to access our services.
How will the information I enter be used?
Unable to set password
- We automatically determine if your password is strong. Without using passwords used by other services, try any combination of letters.
- Yes, you need to agree to everything in order to open an account.
I haven't received the email
- Please make sure that your email address is entered correctly.
- Please check if it has arrived in another folder such as junk mail.
Set up two-step verification
What is two-step verification?
What is an authorization code (or code)?
- It is a 6-digit number that can be sent by short mail or displayed on the authentication system application, etc., depending on the type of two-step verification you have set.
Can I register a landline phone number?
- No, landline phone numbers are not available. Please have your mobile phone number ready to receive SMS.
What are the supported two-step verification apps (one-time password generation apps)?
- Please refer to this help page.
Confirm your identity
What is identity verification?
Identity verification is a method for verifying that the customer opening an account is who they say they are. As a registered crypto asset exchange company, we will comply with the law, prevent unauthorized account creation and use, and provide a secure platform; based on the Coinbase Terms of Service, we will perform identity verification procedures for all customers.
What should I do if I get an error in my identity verification?
- Please check again if the information you entered matches your real name and address on the verification document, and if there are any typographical errors in the information you entered.
- If the information you entered is accurate but your identity verification does not proceed, please contact our Customer Support.
Why do I have to verify my identity?
- As a financial institution regulated by the competent authority, we are required by law to verify the identity of all customers. Proper identity verification is also an important factor in preventing the creation and use of fraudulent accounts and providing a secure platform. Therefore, we ask all customers to verify their identity based on the Coinbase Terms of Service.
How to verify my identity?
- We will guide you as part of the registration procedure for opening a Coinbase account.
Will selfies taken with identity verification be made public?
- No. The content taken by identity verification will be used only for the purpose of screening the opening of an account within our company and will not be disclosed to the public.
How is customer information used?
- Please refer to this help page.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback. What can we do to improve this article?
We’re glad this article was helpful.
Thank you for your feedback.
Thank you for helping us improve Coinbase.
Your feedback is appreciated.