How to set up your Security Key
Before you begin:
- You will need to have a security key that supports WebAuthN / Fido2 standard before beginning this process
- Support for more keys will be added over time
- Enabling a security key will disable any previously setup 2-step verification method
- See the security key restrictions for more information
To set up your security key:
- Sign in to your Coinbase account
- Go to Settings > Security
- Select Security Key under 2-Step Verification
Using your Security Key
When using your security key, a few things to keep in mind:
- Most security keys work with adapters, however, adapters with multiple ports may cause some issues
- 3rd-party apps connected to your Coinbase account might not support security keys
To manage your security key(s):
In your Coinbase account, go to Settings > Security. Under the selected 2-step verification method, you'll be able to manage your security key which includes adding another security key. Please note, there is a maximum of 5 keys.
- By adding more than one security key, you enable a backup option in case you lose your primary security key
- If you disable your security, SMS will be re-enabled as the default 2-step verification method
Important Note: Coinbase highly recommends you do not share your security key with anyone else in order to keep your account as secure as possible.
Please refer to this page for 2-step verification troubleshooting or if you have lost your key.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback. What can we do to improve this article?
We’re glad this article was helpful.
Thank you for your feedback.
Thank you for helping us improve Coinbase.
Your feedback is appreciated.