How to set up your Security Key
Before you begin:
- The security key will need to support WebAuthN / Fido2 standard. Note that support for more keys will be added in the future.
- It’s important to use a security key that works on both your mobile device and computer. Learn more
- Enabling a security key will disable any previously setup 2-step verification method.
To set up your security key:
- Sign into your Coinbase account from a web browser. (You cannot change your 2-step method from the Coinbase mobile app.)
- Go to Settings > Security
- Select Security Key under 2-step verification
Using your Security Key
When using your security key, a few things to keep in mind:
- Most security keys work with adapters, however, adapters with multiple ports may cause some issues
- 3rd-party apps connected to your Coinbase account might not support security keys
To manage your security key(s):
In your Coinbase account, go to Settings > Security. Under the selected 2-step verification method, you'll be able to manage your security key which includes adding another security key. Please note, there is a maximum of 5 keys.
- By adding more than one security key, you enable a backup option in case you lose your primary security key
- If you disable your security, SMS will be re-enabled as the default 2-step verification method
Important Note: Coinbase highly recommends you do not share your security key with anyone else in order to keep your account as secure as possible.
Please refer to this page for 2-step verification troubleshooting or if you have lost your key.