The referral program lets you earn a bonus for each friend (“invitee”) who signs up and makes a crypto trade using your personal signup link.
How to earn referral bonuses:
- Visit the Referrals page on Coinbase.com or go to Settings in the Coinbase mobile app to get your referral link. Coinbase Pro accounts are not eligible for a referral bonus.
- Copy and share your referral link in an email, text message or via your favorite messaging app.
- Your friends can open the referral link in the message and sign up for a Coinbase account.
- Your friend needs to then complete their account set-up and initiate a buy or sell in one of our supported countries.
Here are some other important details:
- Your friend also must not have an existing Coinbase account.
- Once your friend completes a buy or sell of $100 USD or more (or 100 USD equivalent of your domestic currency), you both will receive 10 USD (or 10 USD equivalent of your domestic currency).
- Please note that the buy or sell must happen within 180 days of the account open date. Also, orders can take up to 4 business days to complete.
I haven’t received my referral bonus, why is that?
Here are a few possible reasons you or your referrer are not eligible for the referral bonus:
- The invitee must sign up using your unique referral link. This means they need to create a new Coinbase account directly after opening your link. Referrals are not captured if the referred person signs up using the Coinbase app and not the unique referral link.
- The invitee must use https://www.coinbase.com/trade to complete their qualifying order; orders placed on Coinbase Pro will not count toward referral bonus eligibility.
- Referral bonuses are only paid if the person you referred verifies their account and initiates a buy or sell of $100 or more within 180 days of opening their qualifying account. The buy or sell has to complete (meaning the funds are delivered to the account). Buys can take up to 4 business days to complete. The amount can be a cumulative $100, it can happen over multiple purchases - for example, four purchases of $25 each. It can take some time for payments to go out, and they may not arrive immediately. Please wait 4 full business days after the trade is completed to receive a referral bonus.
- We do not pay out referral bonuses on duplicate or false accounts. Duplicate or shared financials will cause disqualification.
- If an invitee fails to complete the requirements to obtain a bonus within 180 days of opening his or her account, neither party will receive a bonus.
Will I be taxed on Referral Bonuses?
Referral bonus and other reward amounts exceeding $600 will result in a 1099-MISC being issued. You can view your total rewards by going to https://www.coinbase.com/reports, selecting Rewards Income from the transaction list dropdown and clicking Generate Report.
- You can share your referral link via email, text message, or any of your favorite messaging apps like Facebook, WhatsApp and Twitter.
- Referral links are a link to Coinbase.com with a special code on the end that makes your link unique. For example: https://www.coinbase.com/join/YOUR_REFERRAL_ID
- There is no limit to the number of friends you can refer, however there may be limits on the amount of referral bonuses you can receive.
Terms & Conditions
Promoting your referral code through the use of paid advertising on 'Coinbase' or Coinbase-related keywords is prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to, bidding or running ads on search brand keywords that include 'Coinbase' or similar variations and using 'Coinbase' branded terms in your ad copy, is not appropriate. Referrers who engage in such activities will have their referral codes deactivated and all referrals resulting from such activities are ineligible for referral payments.
Important Notice: Unfortunately we can't guarantee payout on every account you refer due to the limitations mentioned above and risk of fraud, but we make a good faith effort to do so whenever possible. In addition, Coinbase reserves the right to change the terms of the referral program at any time due to changing market conditions, risk of fraud, or other reasons. By participating in the referral program you acknowledge that receiving payouts is not guaranteed by Coinbase.
Coinbase $1.5M Referral Bonus Offer
The Coinbase $1.5M Referral Bonus Offer is a limited offer available to Coinbase account holders who opt in to the offer and make qualified referrals between September 13th at 12 PM PDT and September 26th at 11:59 PM PDT.
Eligible customers can earn 1 entry to win a share of the $1.5M prize by getting your friends to create a Coinbase account using your referral link.
To be eligible, you must:
Be a resident of the US, UK, or Canada (excluding Quebec).
Have a valid Coinbase.com account.
Opt in to the referral bonus offer.
Invite a friend to Coinbase using your unique referral link, and your friend must buy or sell $100 in crypto (including fees) by September 26th.
- Meet our internal fraud and compliance-related criteria, including measures related to account uniqueness.
You are eligible for 1 share of the total reward when one friend signs up and buys or sells $100 in crypto (including fees) by September 26th—you can earn up to 10 shares.
How will I know that I successfully entered the offer?
Will I still receive the standard referral offer?
Yes, this offer is separate from the Coinbase referral program. When your friend successfully signs up for a Coinbase account and buys or sells $100 in crypto (including fees), you both will receive $10 (or the equivalent of $10 USD in your local currency).
How do I find my referral link?
Go to www.coinbase.com/invite to find your unique referral link. Your friends must sign up for a Coinbase account via your referral link and buy or sell $100 in crypto (including fees) in order for you to qualify for this offer.
When will I receive the bonus offer?
You will receive your bonus payout around October 3rd. Once the bonus is deposited into your account, you will receive a notification email.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS (“TERMS”)
This promotional offer (“Offer”) is provided by Coinbase, Inc. (“Coinbase”) and is only valid for Eligible Current Customers located in the 50 United States (excluding Hawaii), Washington D.C., Canada (excluding Quebec), and the United Kingdom who are 18 years of age or older.
“Eligible Current Customers” means current customers of Coinbase in good standing, but excludes Coinbase Pro customers. Coinbase Pro customers cannot participate in this Offer. All individuals participating in the Offer, whether Eligible Current Customers or Invitees (defined below) shall be referred to as “Participants.”
1. Offer Period: This Offer is available starting at 12:00:01 AM United States Pacific Time (“PT”) on September 13, 2021 and ends at 11:59:59 PM PT on September 26, 2021 (“Offer Period”).
2. Offer Requirements: Coinbase will provide a total amount of $1.5 million in Bitcoin to consumers (the “Total Incentive”). All Eligible Current Customers may receive one or more “Shares” of the Total Incentive after completion of the following steps:
Visit https://www.coinbase.com/incentives/referral_bonus_q32021 to opt in to the Offer. You will then be given a unique link (the “Link”).
Provide your Link to another natural person with whom you have a family or personal relationship who does not currently have a Coinbase account and is eligible to sign up for a Coinbase account (“Invitee”)
The Invitee must sign up for a Coinbase account using your Link then complete $100 (U.S.) in Eligible Trades during the Offer Period. An Invitee’s “Eligible Trades” is equivalent to the total value in United States Dollars of cryptocurrency bought and sold by the Invitee during the Offer Period plus the total amount of trading fees paid by such Invitee in connection with such purchases. Eligible Trades are cumulative (i.e., multiple trades can be combined to meet the $100 requirement). Trades made using a Coinbase Pro account are not considered Eligible Trades.
Eligible Current Customers will receive one “Share” of the Total Incentive for each unique Invitee that signs up for a Coinbase account using the Eligible Current Customer’s Link and makes $100 in Eligible Trades (each a “Qualifying Referral”).
The value of each “Share” is determined by dividing the Total Incentive by the total number of Shares that are earned during the Offer Period. For example, if there are 100,000 Shares earned during the Offer Period, each Eligible Current Customer holding a Share will earn 1 / 100,000 of the Total Incentive per Share (or $15 worth of Bitcoin).
Eligible Current Customers may receive multiple Shares during the Offer Period, one for each Qualifying Referral. Limit of ten (10) Shares for each Eligible Current Customer regardless of how many Invitees sign up and/or Qualifying Referrals are made by that Eligible Current Customer.
By meeting the Offer requirements, Eligible Current Customers authorize Coinbase to credit their Coinbase brokerage account in accordance with this Offer with the amount of any Shares earned. The total amount credited to an Eligible Current Customer hereunder is referred to as the “Reward.” The value of each Share will be awarded in Bitcoin, rather than cash.
Invitees may become Eligible Current Customers if they are otherwise eligible to obtain a Coinbase account, and will be able to begin referring Invitees, after signing up for a Coinbase account.
3. Limitations: Participants must have a Coinbase brokerage account in good standing. The Share will be rewarded to eligible accounts on or about October 10, 2022. Stated value of the Total Incentive is the value as of the date and time that the Total Incentive is credited to Participants’ accounts. Coinbase is not responsible for any reduction in the cash value of the Total Incentive, the Shares, and/or the Rewards due to fluctuations in the value of Bitcoin after the Total Incentive, the Shares, and/or the Rewards are credited to Participants’ accounts. Coinbase reserves the right to either decline to grant a Share or Reward in the event that Coinbase determines in its sole discretion that: (1) a customer did not meet the requirements and qualifications of the Offer; (2) there may have been fraudulent activity, including where an Invitee signs up for more than one account; (3) there is a violation of these Terms; or (4) the Participant did not have a family or personal relationship with an Invitee. The Offer is limited to no more than one account enrolled per Eligible Current Customer or Invitee. Eligible Current Customers will only be eligible for one “Share” per Invitee, and will not be eligible for additional Shares corresponding to multiple accounts established by the same Invitee. The Offer may be valid alongside, though separate from, other promotions offered by Coinbase. Coinbase may decline requests to enroll in the Offer or award Shares at its discretion. The Offer is only available for personal use, and may not be used for commercial purposes. Coinbase cannot provide information about someone else’s account or application status. Other restrictions may apply in Coinbase’s sole discretion. Coinbase may delay a Share and/or associated monetary benefits for the purposes of investigation and may refuse to verify and process any transaction Coinbase deems, in its sole discretion, to be fraudulent, suspicious, in violation of these Terms. All of Coinbase’s decisions are final and binding, including decisions as to whether a Qualifying Referral is verified or a Reward is earned pursuant to these Terms. Neither receipt of the Reward nor identification of a particular cryptocurrency in communications related to this Offer constitutes a solicitation of the crypto asset, or recommendation to buy, sell, or hold the asset, or investment advice.
Consult with your tax advisor about the appropriate tax treatment for this offer and any tax implications associated with receipt of the Reward before enrolling. For taxable accounts, the value of all Coinbase and affiliate offers received may be reported as Other Income on a Form 1099-MISC where required by applicable rules and regulations. Coinbase does not take responsibility for any tax related to this Reward. Nothing in these Terms implies any employment or joint venture relationship between Participants and Coinbase. All taxes applicable to any Share or other benefits provided by Coinbase under this Offer will be Participant’s responsibility.
4. RELEASE: By participating, participants agree to defend, indemnify, release and hold harmless Coinbase and its respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers and directors (collectively, the “Released Parties”), from and against any liability, loss, claims or causes of action arising out of participation in the Offer, including, but not limited to: (a) unauthorized human intervention in the Offer; (b) technical, printing, hardware, software, mobile, telephone or other communications malfunctions, errors or failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, web site, Internet or ISP availability, unauthorized human intervention, traffic congestion or failed, incomplete, garbled, jumbled or delayed computer or mobile transmissions which may limit one’s ability to participate in the Offer; (c) errors in the administration of the Offer; (d) injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from your participation in the Offer; or (e) the awarding, receipt and/or use or misuse of the Reward or any benefit of the Offer, including without limitation any variation or reduction in the value of Bitcoin awarded after such Bitcoin was purchased by Coinbase. You further agree that in any cause of action, the Released Parties’ liability will be limited to the cost of entering and participating in the Offer and in no event shall the Released Parties be liable for attorney’s fees. You waive the right to claim any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct or indirect damages. The Released Parties shall not be liable for failure to supply a Reward, by reason of any acts of God, any action or request by any governmental or quasi-governmental entity (whether or not valid), or any other activity or action, including epidemics or pandemics, that is beyond any of the Released Parties’ control.
WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, AND TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE OFFER IS PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT ANY REPRESENTATION, WARRANTY, OR CONDITION OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. IF YOU HAVE MANDATORY RIGHTS AS A CONSUMER IN THE COUNTRY IN WHICH YOU ARE RESIDENT THAT CANNOT BE WAIVED, NOTHING IN THESE TERMS WILL AFFECT THOSE MANDATORY CONSUMER RIGHTS.
5. INDEMNIFICATION: You agree to indemnify, defend and hold the Released Parties harmless from and against any and all third party claims, demands, liabilities, costs or expenses, including attorney’s fees and costs, arising from, or related to any breach of any of these Terms or any violation of applicable law.
6. DISPUTES: Unless the laws applicable based on the Participant’s domicile provide otherwise, as a condition of participating in the Offer, you and Coinbase agree that the following disputes, claims, and causes of action shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, by binding and confidential arbitration:
Any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or related to this Offer, including any dispute, claim, or cause of action relating to the Reward awarded in this Offer; and,
Any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or related to the interpretation or application of this arbitration provision, including the enforceability, revocability, scope, or validity of this arbitration provision.
Such Arbitration shall be administered by Judicial Arbitration and Mediation Services (“JAMS”) and shall take place remotely using Google Meet (or some other video conference service agreed to by you and Coinbase) or shall take place in person at JAMS’s San Francisco office, which is located at 2 Embarcadero Center Suite 1500, San Francisco, CA 94111, unless governing law or an applicable JAMS Rule or Standard requires the selection of a different location. To the extent permitted by law, the prevailing party in any action to enforce this arbitration provision shall be entitled to its reasonable attorneys’ fees and costs.
Participant and Coinbase agree that the laws of the State of California, without regard to principles of conflict of laws, will govern the Offer and any dispute, claim, or cause of action arising out of or related to Offer, except to the extent governed by United States federal law.
7. REFERRAL RESTRICTIONS. Participants cannot refer themselves, create multiple, fictitious or fake accounts with Coinbase, participate in the Offer by pretending to be one’s own “Invitees,” or use automated means, “spam” or otherwise use batch emails or communications, or engage in multi-level marketing arrangements in order to earn Shares. Participants may not use the Offer in a manner that violates any law, infringes or violates the rights of any third party, or otherwise act in a manner that is contrary to any local anti-spam or privacy laws, deemed harassing, harmful, illegal, hateful, obscene or outside the spirit and intent of the Offer, as such conduct will be grounds for immediate termination and disqualification from the Offer, forfeiture of any Reward accrued, cancellation and forfeiture of any Reward and/or deactivation of any Link. In addition, Participants may not (i) damage, tamper with, or corrupt the operation of the Offer, (ii) act in an unfair, disruptive, or questionable manner, or with intent to annoy, harass, or abuse any other person (iii) use any system, bot or other device or artifice to participate or receive any benefit in the Offer; (iv) violate any law, statute, or governmental regulation; (v) engage in any inappropriate, uncooperative, disruptive, fraudulent, potentially fraudulent, or unusual behavior or activity; (vi) breach any of these Terms; or (vii) engage in any other activity deemed in the sole discretion of Coinbase to be generally inconsistent with the intended operation of the Offer. In the event that any Participant engages in the foregoing prohibited activity, Coinbase reserves the right to: (i) terminate and/or close the account(s) of the Participant; (ii) prohibit the Participant from participating in any aspect of the Offer Any decision Coinbase makes relating to termination or suspension of a Participant’s participation in the Offer Program shall be final and binding in all respects. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE OFFER MAY BE IN VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS. SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, COINBASE RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK REMEDIES AND DAMAGES (INCLUDING ATTORNEY FEES) TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW, INCLUDING CRIMINAL PROSECUTION.
8. RIGHT TO CANCEL PROGRAM OR CHANGE TERMS. Coinbase reserves the right to cancel, modify, suspend and/or terminate the Offer or to change these Terms or any Reward at any time in its sole discretion without notice.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback. What can we do to improve this article?
We’re glad this article was helpful.
Thank you for your feedback.
Thank you for helping us improve Coinbase.
Your feedback is appreciated.