What are the password requirements on Coinbase?
- Passwords must be at least 8 characters long and have an estimated offline crack time over 6,000 seconds.
- We do not enforce arbitrary restrictions on numbers, special characters, or maximum password length.
- Any passwords longer than 72 characters will be truncated.
How do I choose a good password?
Coinbase strongly recommends the use of password manager software, such as 1Password or LastPass. A password manager can generate random, unique passwords for each website you visit. It can also automatically fill in passwords for you and can protect you against phishing attacks.
If you don't want to use a password manager:
- Be sure to use a long, random password that is unique to your Coinbase account.
- Do not reuse passwords from other websites, especially your email account.
- You can use a passphrase (a sentence or group of words), but do not choose a phrase from a book or a movie as hackers have access to sophisticated databases of such quotes.
My password is long and random, why does it have a low crack time?
We check all passwords against password dumps and leaks across the internet. It's possible that your password was found in one of these dumps. We recommend you change your password immediately if this is the case.
Read our complete Password FAQ for more information.
How do I reset my password?
If you forgot or need to reset your password, use these steps:
- Visit the Coinbase Password Reset page.
- Enter your email address and select reset password.
- Check your inbox (and spam folder) for a password reset email from us.
- Select the link in the email to open the password reset page.
- Create a new password and complete this action.
Once complete, then you should now be able to sign in to Coinbase.
Why can't I reset my password?
Coinbase takes a number of steps to ensure the security of our customers' accounts. These include enforcing strong passwords, 2-step verification, and device verification.
When a customer attempts to reset their password, we take precautions to ensure that it is a legitimate request. This means that our customers may only reset their passwords from devices they have previously verified, or from locations they have previously signed in from. This requirement provides a safeguard against attempts to illegitimately reset your password.
If you are having trouble resetting your password, you'll need to:
- Reset it from a device you have previously used to access Coinbase.
- Reset it from a location (IP address) you've previously used to access Coinbase.
If you no longer have access to a previously validated device or IP address, please contact Coinbase Support so we can have a member of our security team assist you with a password reset.
Why will my password reset require 24 hours to process?
As noted above, Coinbase only processes password reset requests from devices that have been previously authorized to access your account. If you are resetting your password from a new device, our system may delay the processing time for 24 hours in the interest of keeping your account secure. This can be bypassed by resetting your password from a previously verified device.