Coinbase Tax Resource Center

Important Note

Coinbase does not provide tax advice. This material has been prepared for general informational purposes only and should not be considered an individualized recommendation or advice. The information contained herein is not intended to provide, and should not be relied on for, tax advice. Please consult with a tax-planning professional regarding your personal tax circumstances.

United States Income Taxes and Crypto

Cryptocurrency transactions may be taxable to  United States taxpayers. 

Important Note

Failure to report income, including income from the sale of cryptocurrencies, could result in a number of penalties specified in the tax code. Please consult with a tax advisor regarding your reporting obligation

Will Coinbase be issuing me a 1099-K from Coinbase?

For transactions that took place on NO

  • Coinbase is not required to issue a 1099-K to customers and will not be issuing a 1099-K to our customers 
  • Although Coinbase is not issuing a 1099, this does not necessarily mean you do not need to report to the IRS. You may still need to report gains/losses and Coinbase recommends you consult with your tax advisor to determine your reporting obligation

For transactions that took place on Coinbase Pro, Prime, and Coinbase Merchant: MAYBE

Coinbase is required to provide a 1099-K if you engaged in at least 200 cryptocurrency transactions whose total value is equal to or greater than $20,000*.

Please visit 1099-K Tax Forms FAQ for Coinbase Pro, Prime, Merchant for more information.

* this threshold varies by state, please see the above article for a full breakdown

What is a B-Notice and why did I receive one from the IRS? 

You may receive an IRS B-Notice for any discrepancies with your tax identification number (TIN) and legal name used by Coinbase to file the Form 1099-K with the IRS. The B-Notice will:

  • Let you know what additional information is needed or what needs to be corrected
  • Inform you what needs to be provided in addition to updating or correcting your name or TIN

To correct your TIN and/or name, please contact support.

For more information about the IRS B-Notice, please go here.

Using TurboTax or CoinTracker to report on cryptocurrency

Coinbase customers can receive a discount with TurboTax or CoinTracker. Please go here for instructions and a link to the discounts.

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

Contact us