Which cryptocurrencies use Destination Tag technology?
The following cryptocurrencies supported on Coinbase utilize destination tag technology:
|Cosmos (ATOM)||Memo||Numeric Only|
Do I need to include a Destination Tag or Memo when transacting with these currencies?
Yes. The Tag/Memo is mandatory for transactions for cryptocurrencies that use this technology. You must put in a correct Tag/Memo when receiving/depositing these funds into Coinbase.
- For instructions on how to to find or use a destination tag on Coinbase Pro, go to our help page
- For instructions on how to to find or use a destination tag on Coinbase, go to our help page
What is a Destination Tag/Memo?
A Destination Tag/Memo is an additional address feature necessary for identifying a transaction recipient beyond a wallet address.
Why is this needed?
- For these types of cryptocurrencies, most centralized exchanges (like Coinbase) use one address for all traders of cryptocurrencies that use Destination Tag technology.
- Therefore, a Tag/Memo is used to determine what actual individual account a given transaction should be assigned and credited to
Example: The address you send one of these cryptocurrencies to can be equated to an apartment building address. The Tag/Memo identifies which specific apartment you live in, in the apartment building.
When is a Tag/Memo not required?
The only exception to the requirement to include the destination tag is when sending to a privately controlled cryptocurrency storage place or device.
A private wallet is one which the individual fully controls (has custody of) both the public and private keys. This is not a Coinbase wallet, i.e. one on Coinbase.com. Examples of a private wallet include (but are not limited to):
- Desktop: wallets downloaded and installed on a PC or laptop
- Hardware: wallets stored on a hardware device like a USB, and are stored offline
Warning: if you are uncertain about whether you are sending to a public or a private wallet, please contact Coinbase support.
Using a private wallet to send crypto that uses Destination Tag technology
- If you are sending cryptocurrency that uses Destination Tag technology to Coinbase, you must input a correct Tag/Memo.
- Both an address and a tag/memo are required to receive cryptocurrency. If you send funds without a tag/memo or with an incorrect Tag/Memo, your funds cannot be credited to your account.
- If you are sending cryptocurrency off of Coinbase to a private/personal wallet, a tag/memo may not be required.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback. What can we do to improve this article?
We’re glad this article was helpful.
Thank you for your feedback.
Thank you for helping us improve Coinbase.
Your feedback is appreciated.