As a Coinbase Prime client, you and each of your teammates will receive a YubiKey. A YubiKey is a physical key you plug into your computer to authenticate your identity.
Why Does Coinbase Prime Require YubiKeys for User Authentication?
YubiKey is the most secure user authentication mechanism currently available. Because the YubiKey is a physical key, it cannot be stolen electronically, like a password stored on a smartphone.
YubiKey requires confirmation of both the user's identity and the origin of the user's authentication because the user's authentication must originate from the key itself. Also, a user must physically interact with the key itself (plug it into a computer and push a button on the key) to complete the authentication process.
This three-pronged security makes YubiKey superior to every other available user authentication option, which is why it is Coinbase's choice to protect our users' accounts.
How Do I Get a YubiKey for My Coinbase Prime Account?
If you have an existing YubiKey, feel free to use it with Coinbase Prime. Although the Coinbase Operations team prefers YubiKey, if you have a different brand of physical security key, you may use it to authenticate your Coinbase Prime account.
Otherwise, when you apply for Coinbase Prime, you may request a YubiKey from our Coinbase Prime Operations team. You will need to provide the following information:
- Preferred YubiKey format – USB-A or USB-C; and
- Shipping address for your YubiKey(s), including zip code and telephone number.
You'll receive your YubiKey shortly after you're approved for Coinbase Prime.
How Do I Set Up My YubiKey for My Coinbase Prime Account?
To set up your YubiKey, you'll need to sign in to your account using your Coinbase Prime email address. The first time you sign in to Coinbase Prime, you'll be prompted to register your YubiKey:
- Go to accounts.coinbase.com/businesssignup;
- Sign in if prompted, then select the Security tab on the left side of the screen;
- Scroll down to 2-step verification and select the Add button next to Security key;
- Follow the prompts to add your security key (you'll need to use your current 2-step verification method to authenticate your identity);
- After you've registered your security key, click the product selector in the top right, and select Prime to return to Coinbase Prime.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback. What can we do to improve this article?
We’re glad this article was helpful.
Thank you for your feedback.
Thank you for helping us improve Coinbase.
Your feedback is appreciated.