What you'll need to regain account access
If you lost access to the email address you used to create your Coinbase account, we'll need to go through a few steps to help you access your account.
Before you start, you will need the following:
- The password associated with your Coinbase account
- Access to your 2-step verification method
- Access to the verified phone number on your Coinbase account
Regain access to your account
First, go to the account access page and follow these steps to update your email address (you must have 2-step verification for these steps to work):
- Sign in using your previous email address and password
- Enter your 2-step verification token
- Select I no longer have access to my email address when you are prompted to verify your new device
- Enter your new email address—we'll send you an email to this account
- Confirm your new email address by selecting the blue button in the email you received
- Enter your 2-step verification code as you normally would
- Select your ID type
- Please note for US customers, we only accept valid state driver's licenses at this time
If you don't have 2-step verification or only have SMS text
You'll need to get in touch with Coinbase Support to regain access you your account. Do this by scrolling to the bottom of the page and selecting Contact us.
When will this process complete?
The account recovery process usually takes 48 hours to complete but can sometimes take longer. After 24 hours, you should be able to sign in to your account and complete buys and sells. After 48 hours, you should have full trading capabilities restored. For your security, sends will be disabled on your account until the full security period has passed. If you sign in before the security period is complete, you’ll receive a pop-up notification informing you that sends are temporarily disabled.
If you are unable to access your phone number on file (or your account does not have 2-step verification enabled), then it will not be possible to update your email address. Please contact Coinbase Support if this is the case.