Staking is a way to earn rewards (cryptocurrency) while helping strengthen the security of the blockchain network. You can unstake your crypto at any time, and your crypto is always yours.
You can stake ETH to earn rewards. When you stake your ETH, it converts to staked ETH on Coinbase. The price of staked ETH is identical to ETH.
The Ethereum network now allows for unstaking. We've also moved staked balances of Ethereum (formerly ETH2) to the primary ETH asset page. This change has no impact on the amount you are staking or on your staked Ethereum rewards.
What you need to know about staking ETH.
Minimum or maximum stake
• There are no minimums to stake
• There is a maximum of 10,000 for staking ETH
• The maximum amount will change over time and isn’t specific to your individual account
• The Ethereum network now allows for unstaking
• ETH2 is no longer a standalone asset
• Your staked ETH balance is reflected on your Ethereum asset page
• This change has no impact on the amount you are staking or on your staked Ethereum rewards
• This change does not impact cbETH
• There are generally no U.S. tax implications from staking or unstaking your ETH, except that the rewards you receive from staking are generally considered taxable income. Please contact a tax professional to consider whether staking, unstaking, or receiving rewards affects your tax situation.
• Coinbase Wrapped Staked ETH (cbETH) represents staked ETH in a tradable form at Coinbase
• Lets you buy, sell, send, or use your staked ETH position