Do I qualify for Coinbase tax forms for the 2021 tax season?

Coinbase will issue an IRS form called 1099-MISC to report miscellaneous income rewards to customers that meet the following criteria: 

  • You're a Coinbase customer AND

  • You're a US person for tax purposes AND

  • You've earned $600 or more in miscellaneous income such as rewards or fees from Learning rewards, USDC Rewards, and/or staking in 2021

This is income paid to you by Coinbase, so you may need Coinbase’s tax identification number (TIN) when you file your taxes: 45-5293997. 

Please note: Coinbase will not provide a Form 1099-K or 1099-B for the 2021 Tax Season for trades on Coinbase.

You can find your history of IRS forms in the Documents section of your Coinbase Tax Center, including a digital copy of your 1099-MISC for 2021, if you received one (you'll also be mailed a paper copy in February unless you opt to go paperless in the Preferences section of the Tax Center). 

You can also generate a gains and losses report in the Documents section, but it will only include your personal trading activity from Any activity from other trading platforms or other Coinbase products (including Coinbase Wallet, Pro, Institutional, or Prime) isn’t included. If you have additional taxable activity elsewhere, we recommend using CoinTracker.

Learn more about IRS forms.

Why does the income number in the Tax Center not match my 1099 form?

Small differences between the income number on your 1099-MISC form and in the Tax Center are expected due to differences in the historical exchange-rate data used to generate your form and the exchange-rate history used by the Tax Center. You should use the number on your 1099-MISC form to file your taxes.

footer cta icon

Can't find what you're looking for?

Contact us