How to set up your Security Key
Before you begin:
- You will need to have a security key, that supports U2F/WebAuthN standard before beginning this process.
- Support for more keys will be added over time.
- Enabling a security key will disable any previously setup 2-Step authentication method.
- See the security key restrictions for more information.
To set up your security key:
- Log in to your Coinbase account
- Go to Settings > Security
- Select Security Key under 2-Step Verification
Using your Security Key
When using your security key, a few things to keep in mind:
- Most security keys work with adapters. However, adapters with multiple ports may cause some issues.
- 3rd-party apps connected to your Coinbase account might not support security keys.
To manage your security key(s):
In your Coinbase account, go to Settings > Security. Under the selected 2-step verification method, you'll be able to manage your security key which includes adding another security key. Please note, there is a maximum of 5 keys.
- By adding more than one security key, you enable a backup option in case you lose your primary security key.
- If you disable your security, SMS will be re-enabled as the default 2-step verification method.
Important Note: Coinbase highly recommends you do not share your security key with anyone else in order to keep your account as secure as possible.
Please refer to this page for 2-step verification troubleshooting or if you have lost your key.