Protecting your data and your privacy are essential priorities for Coinbase. That’s why we make sure to keep you informed of how and why we collect and use your personal information.
How does Coinbase use my data?
Personal information is data that identifies an individual or relates to an identifiable individual.
At Coinbase, we collect personal information that is necessary to provide you with our services. That primarily includes data we collect because it is mandated by law — such as when we must comply with anti money laundering laws — or to verify your identity and protect you from potential fraudulent activity. We may also collect your data to enable certain services, improve our products, and keep you notified of new developments (based on your preferences). We do not —and will not — sell your data to third parties without your consent.
What type of data does Coinbase collect?
We may collect the following types of information:
- Personal Identification Information: Full legal name, date of birth, age, nationality, gender, signature, utility bills, photographs, phone number, home address, and/or email.
- Formal Identification Information: Government issued identity document such as Passport, Driver's License, National Identity Card, State ID Card, Tax ID number, passport number, driver's license details, national identity card details, visa information, and/or any other information deemed necessary to comply with our legal obligations under financial or anti-money laundering laws.
- Institutional Information: Employer Identification number (or comparable number issued by a government), proof of legal formation (e.g. Articles of Incorporation), personal identification information for all material beneficial owners.
- Financial Information: Bank account information, payment card primary account number (PAN), transaction history, trading data, and/or tax identification.
- Transaction Information: Information about the transactions you make on our Services, such as the name of the recipient, your name, the amount, and/or timestamp.
- Employment Information: Office location, job title, and/or description of role.
- Correspondence: Survey responses, information provided to our support team or user research team.
- Online Identifiers: Geo location/tracking details, browser fingerprint, operating system, browser name and version, and/or personal IP addresses.
How do privacy regulations affect my data?
In response to major data breaches in recent years, comprehensive data privacy regulation is becoming increasingly prevalent worldwide. Laws like the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) and the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) regulate the processing of personal data by service providers like Coinbase, and grant our customers to make certain requests with respect to their data (“Data Subject Access Requests,” or “DSARs”). These include requests to access, modify, or delete data held by Coinbase.
How do I get access to my information?
In order to submit a DSAR, you’ll need to be logged in to your Coinbase account via a web browser or the mobile app. This is to ensure the safety of your data and privacy. Once you’re logged in, follow these steps to access your information.
If you are attempting to request copies of your data, you will need to submit these requests via web browser. We are unable to support these request types via our mobile app(s) at this time.
What if I'm unable to access my account or privacy settings page?
If you are unable to login to your account or cannot access the privacy settings page, please submit a request through our Support Portal. When submitting a request, take the following steps:
Click “Contact our team for support”
Select the “Data Privacy” category
Pick which subtype is most applicable to your situation.
How do I submit questions or concerns?
Can I access my privacy settings and submit requests even if I don’t live in the EU or California?
In the interest of transparency and giving you control over your data, as of January 1, 2020, Coinbase will make its Privacy Dashboard accessible to all Coinbase customers, regardless of where you reside! This means all customers will have the ability to access, modify, and delete personal information Coinbase stores about them. Note that there may be some differences in the content and options presented on the Dashboard based on the applicable law in your jurisdiction.