How does Converting Cryptocurrency work?
Users can trade between two currencies directly. For example: exchanging Ethereum (ETH) with Bitcoin (BTC), or vice versa.
- All trades are executed immediately and therefore cannot be canceled
- Fiat currency (ex: USD) is not needed to trade
How do I convert cryptocurrency?
- Sign in to your Coinbase account or into the Coinbase mobile app
- Find the asset page for the cryptocurrency you would like to convert from. For example, https://www.coinbase.com/price/bitcoin
- There will be a panel with the option to convert one cryptocurrency to another
- Enter the fiat amount of cryptocurrency you would like to convert from in terms of your native fiat currency. For example, $10 worth of BTC to convert into XRP
- Select Preview Conversion to see the amount of XRP you would convert from BTC
- If you do not have enough crypto to complete the transaction, you will be prompted to buy some
- Confirm the conversion transaction
Please see the Locations and trading pairs help article for all crypto-to-crypto trading pairs.
Please note, Coinbase charges a spread margin of up to two percent (2.00%) for Digital Currency Conversions. The actual spread margin charged varies due to market fluctuations in the price of Digital Currencies on Coinbase Pro between the time we quote a price and the time when the order executes. We do not charge a separate Coinbase Fee for Digital Currency Conversions.
To see availability depending on country and cryptocurrency type, please see Supported cryptocurrencies.