Coinbase provides several options for generating 2-step verification codes (AKA 2-factor or multi-factor authentication) with various levels of setup.
Security keys are the most secure method for 2FA. For more information:
Duo and Google Authenticator provide a very secure configuration for 2-step verification. These do not require phone reception or internet access once they're set up. Learn how to set up a TOTP authenticator.
If you verify a phone number via text message without installing any TOTP authentication apps, you will automatically receive 2FA codes via SMS text message.
It is not possible to receive 2FA codes delivered to a landline phone number by voice call. For security purposes, Coinbase does not support the delivery of 2-factor authentication (2FA) codes via voice call. If you have a landline registered with your Coinbase account, follow these steps to upgrade your security:
- Sign in to the Coinbase website with your username and password
- Click on the link "Unable to submit one-time code."
- Click on "I no longer own the phone number ending in +1 xxx xxx 1234" (as an example)
- Complete the Account Recovery process by following the steps listed
- Increase your security by enabling Authenticator
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback. What can we do to improve this article?
We’re glad this article was helpful.
Thank you for your feedback.
Thank you for helping us improve Coinbase.
Your feedback is appreciated.