There are several types of payment methods that you can link to your Coinbase account:
|Best for||Buy||Sell||Add cash||Cash out||Speed|
|Bank Account (ACH)||Large and small investments||✔||✔||✔||✔||4-5 business days|
|Debit Card||Small investments and cashouts||✔||✘||✘||✔||Instant|
|Wire Transfer||Large investments||✘||✘||✔||✔||1-3 business days|
|PayPal||Small investments and cashouts||✔||✘||✔||✔||Instant|
To link a payment method:
- Go to the Payment Methods on web or select Settings > Payment Methods on mobile.
- Select Add a payment method.
- Select the type of account you want to link.
- Follow the instructions to complete verification depending on the type of account being linked.
Please note: Coinbase does not accept physical checks or checks from bill pay services as a payment method to purchase cryptocurrency or to transfer cash into a user's USD wallet. Any such checks received by Coinbase will be voided and destroyed.
Most banks can be linked instantly and securely by providing your online banking username and password when requested. Additional security questions (as well as a PIN) may be required as well depending on your bank's security procedures.
To link your bank account:
- Visit your Payment Methods
- Select Add a payment method > Bank Account > Continue. You'll be presented with a screen where bank logos are displayed
- Type in the name of the bank account you would like to link
- Enter your bank's login credentials
Once completed, your bank account will be instantly linked and available to use.
Cash add verification
Alternatively, you may manually link your bank account using our cash add verification process.
To manually link your bank account:
- Visit your Payment Methods.
- Select Add a payment method > Bank Account > Continue. You'll be presented with a screen where bank logos are displayed.
- Scroll down to Don't see your bank? Search instead.
- Searching for a non-listed bank will display an option to Link your bank manually.
- A new prompt will appear. Select Get Started.
- You'll be asked for your bank's routing number, your bank account number, the name on the bank account, and type of account being linked (Checking or Savings). Enter your banking details and full name then select Verify Account.
- Note that the name on the linked bank account must match the verified name on your Coinbase account.
The verification procedure for adding cash will initiate two small test bank deposits to your bank account. Only enter the "cent" portion of the amounts. For example, if the amounts on your bank statement are $1.10 and $1.20, enter:
Once the bank deposits have reached your account (generally in 2-3 business days), you can verify the amounts by selecting verify for your bank account on the Payments Method page.
Once complete, you can initiate your first buy. You can also use your linked bank account to receive funds from Sell orders or cashouts from your USD Wallet.
Please note, the name of your bank account must match the name of your personal Coinbase account for Coinbase.com. If you would like to use a business bank account instead, please consider applying for an account on Coinbase Prime. For more information on how to use a bank account as a payment method, please visit our help page.
Visa and MasterCard debit cards can be used to buy using Coinbase. We're unable to support prepaid cards or other cards without an associated billing address.
To learn more about how to cash out funds using your debit card please see, Instant Card Cashouts.
In most cases, photo ID verification is required before adding a card.
To add a debit card, follow these steps:
- Go to the Payment Methods page > select Link a New Account > Debit Card.
- Provide your debit card information.
- Two small, temporary debits will be applied to your card.
- Go to your card online banking statement to find the two amounts.
- Enter those amounts on Coinbase to complete adding and verifying your card.
You can now make a purchase by selecting your card on the payment methods menu on the Buy page. Please note that it is not possible to sell cryptocurrency and have the funds sent to a card.
All debit card payments are processed through Coinbase, Inc.
Note: Coinbase no longer supports linking new credit cards, and some card issuers are blocking cryptocurrency purchases with existing credit cards. If you have a credit card linked already, your bank may charge additional fees for Coinbase credit card purchases. We encourage affected customers to switch to a debit card or linked bank account instead.
Adding cash from a wire into Coinbase
Coinbase can only accept wires if:
- The name on the bank wire matches the legal name on your Coinbase account.
- The wire is sent from a US-based bank account.
- The account the wire is sent from is associated with your Coinbase profile—your bank account cannot be linked to another Coinbase account. Also, please note that you can only have one personal Coinbase account.
- Your unique reference code or Coinbase wire account number is included with the wire transaction*.
- The "Reference to Beneficiary" field in the wire details is left blank unless a unique reference code is required.
- The exact routing information is being used from your wire details. Please use the designated wire details from your Coinbase account to send the transfer.
Note: There are no wire transaction or cashout minimums, however there is a wire fee ($10 for incoming transfers and $25 for outgoing transfers). You must have completed sufficient account verification to obtain a USD wallet.
*You’ll be given a virtual account number or a reference code, but you don’t need both. If a reference code is not provided, then use your unique account number. Depending on your banking institution, your bank may further ask about this transaction, in which it may be helpful to tell your bank that you were assigned a "Virtual Account Number (VAN)” to complete this transfer.
To add cash using a bank wire:
- Select the Portfolio tab.
- Select your USD wallet.
- Select Add cash.
- Make sure to select Wire Transfer tab from the Add USD menu.
- Use the information displayed to initiate a Wire transfer denominated in USD from your bank account.
Please be careful not to send an overnight or next day *ACH*. Only actual bank wires ("FedWire") are supported at this time.
After the cash transaction into Coinbase has cleared, the funds will be available in your Coinbase USD Wallet. If you would like to add cash to your Pro wallet, please log in to your Pro account to view your instructions.
Wire cashouts from Coinbase
Once you complete the verification steps to activate a USD Wallet and verify your wire cashout information, you can cash out from your USD wallet via bank wire.
To verify your wire cashout information, go to Payment Methods and select Link a New Account. Follow the prompts to enter the wire details provided by your bank (this will add your bank account).
Once your wire information has been added, to cash out via bank wire:
- Select your USD wallet on the left side menu of the Portfolio page.
- Select Cash out.
- Make sure to select bank wire for the To field.
- Confirm the amount and select Cash out.
Wired funds will typically appear in your account within 2-3 business days.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback. What can we do to improve this article?
We’re glad this article was helpful.
Thank you for your feedback.
Thank you for helping us improve Coinbase.
Your feedback is appreciated.